Fillings for omelets are virtually endless-from simple folded eggs with a little seasoning to hefty mounds stuffed with meats, vegetables, and cheeses. For this recipe, I went vegetarian with a little southwestern flair. Hot chiles, mild pepper, onion, garlic, and cheddar cheese combine for spicy, savory Tex-Mex flavors, and fresh avocado adds a cool, creamy finish.
Serves 2 (easily doubled)
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 habanero or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small avocado
- toasted English muffins, for serving (optional)
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the jalapeno, habanero or serrano, garlic, bell pepper, onion, oregano, and cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the same skillet and swirl to coat. Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet and gently tilt it back and forth for even spreading. Season with salt and pepper. While the eggs begin to set, whisk the remaining 2 eggs in the same small bowl.
- Continue to tilt the skillet until the bottom of the eggs begin to set, with the top still a bit runny, about 1 minute.
- Spread half the vegetable mixture over one half of the eggs. Sprinkle one half of the cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Carefully slide a spatula underneath the opposite side of the eggs and fold over. Press gently with the spatula to help melt the cheese and finish setting the eggs.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate and keep warm. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet and repeat with the remaining eggs, vegetables, and cheese.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Remove the peel and chop the flesh into a small dice.
To serve, place 1 omelet on each of 2 plates. Scatter diced avocado on top and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve toasted muffins alongside, if desired.
read this also