This sushi rice recipe used to be handed directly to me by means of my now 80 12 months outdated Jap mom who had it handed to her by means of her mom again within the 1940’s.
My mom, who used to be at all times on the lookout for techniques to make stronger her personal recipes, talked to many fashionable sushi cooks in Japan (principally within the Osaka and Nagasaki spaces) to take a look at to collect the “secret” to their sushi rice with the intention to make stronger her personal recipe.
Did the ones sushi cooks’ at all times proportion? Nope. Maximum had been very protecting in their recipes. However… some did… even though it used to be just a “trace”…
So what started as a circle of relatives sushi rice recipe that used to be handed directly to my mom by means of her mom after which directly to me, used to be additionally person who were given tweaked and perfected over the many years leading to what I feel is the most efficient sushi rice recipe on the earth.
And now, right here it’s for you.
My 80 12 months outdated Jap Mom’s Sushi Rice Recipe
Elements and provides you’re going to want:
2 cups Jap Quick Grain White Rice
2 Tablespoons of Sake (like Gekkeikan) plus sufficient water to fill a 2 cup measure
Four x 6 inch piece of Kombu (Dashi Kombu/Dried Seaweed)
Four Tablespoons undeniable Jap Rice Vinegar (like Marukan or Mizkan)
Five Tablespoons of sugar
half teaspoon of Salt
Small electrical fan or hand fan, common pot or rice cooker, rice paddle
We wish to communicate a bit about each and every of those elements just a bit and the significance of now not skipping a unmarried one in every of them.
Jap Quick Grain White Rice
The Jap quick grain is probably the most glutinous and is the most efficient to make use of for this recipe. If you’ll be able to’t discover a quick grain, then a medium grain can be utilized in a pinch however the consequence may not be as just right. Additionally, search for rice that isn’t over a 12 months outdated if imaginable. Ask your Jap grocer for “Shinmai”, which imply “present 12 months’s crop”.
The rationale you need “Shinmai” is since the older a rice will get the extra water it takes to melt it. With a present 12 months’s crop the measure of rice to water generally is 1 cup of rice to at least one cup of water.
When a rice will get over a 12 months outdated, it’s tougher to take care of consistency in cooking it as a result of it’s important to gauge how a lot extra water you wish to have so as to add with the intention to melt it to the best texture.
Shinmai looks after that.
You’ll additionally wish to get the sort that it’s important to wash, now not the pre-washed selection. Once more that is for consistency. The pre-washed cooking necessities are other from the sort it’s important to wash. We do not wish to have problems with that. Get the sort it’s important to wash.
Jap Rice Vinegar
Get the apparent rice vinegar right here, now not the pre-made sushi seasoning. To make the most efficient sushi rice calls for making your individual sushi rice seasoning.
Typically utilized in making dashi, kombu may be superb for making sushi rice. That is one in every of my mom’s secrets and techniques. Do not skip this merchandise.
Sake is every other “secret” aspect on this recipe. Gekkeikan is just right sufficient sake for this and is instantly to be had in maximum liquor retail outlets. Do not skip this merchandise both.
Sugar and common desk salt are beautiful self-explanatory.
Making the Sushi Rice Seasoning
Upload the Four tablespoons of rice vinegar, Five tablespoons of sugar and half teaspoon of salt to a bowl. Combine this vigorously till all the sugar is dissolved. What you’ll be able to do is periodically combine it if you are washing, soaking and cooking the rice within the following steps.
Washing the Rice
Put the rice in an ordinary heavy bottomed pot or a rice cooker pot and canopy it with cool faucet water. Sleek the rice round along with your hand to scrub it. The water will flip white. Drain the water and repeat this washing procedure anyplace from Four to six occasions or till the water comes out most commonly transparent.
Let the rice drain in a sieve for 30 mins.
Soaking the Rice
I’m going to think that you’re the use of an ordinary pot or easy rice cooker. With a “fancy” rice cooker (those with all the bells and whistles) it’s now and again now not vital to soak the rice sooner than and let it steam on the finish. When you’ve got a kind of practice the directions on that rice cooker.
1. After your rice has tired within the sieve, upload it on your pot.
2. Now, upload the two tablespoons of sake to a 2-cup measure and fill the remaining with water. I like to recommend the use of bottled water, particularly if in case you have faucet water that has an extraordinary style. This once more provides to the consistency of your sushi rice. Upload the water on your pot.
3. Dismiss the Kombu a bit and put it into the pot with the rice and water. Push it down into the rice to stay it below the water and now not floating on best.
4. Let this rice soak for 20 mins.
5. On the finish of the 20 mins the rice will have to have grew to become “white”. That is what we wish.
Cooking the Rice
1. If the use of a easy rice cooker, flip it on. In case you are the use of an ordinary pot, flip the warmth as much as prime till it starts to boil after which flip it back off to low and put the lid on best.
2. Prepare dinner this rice on low for 15 mins after which flip the range eye off. Your rice cooker at this level will flip off by itself.
3. Let the rice take a seat within the pot or the rice cooker now for 20 mins. That is necessary. This permits the rice to “steam”. Don’t take the highest off of the pot or rice cooker anytime all the way through this cooking and steaming procedure.
4. On the finish of the 20 minute steaming duration, take the lid off and use a picket spoon or rice paddle to show the rice over a couple of occasions to combine it up and fluff it.
5. Put the highest again on for five extra mins.
Blending the Sushi Rice
The next steps will wish to be finished temporarily whilst you upload all the elements in combination within the hangiri or bowl so be ready. You’ll additionally need to have a relentless wind supply blowing over the rice like from a small electrical fan or hand fan if you are blending the rice with the sushi rice seasoning.
1. Level a small electrical fan over the blending bowl and switch it on (or be able to make use of a small hand fan).
2. Unload the recent rice in a hangiri or bowl (take away the kombu) after which pour the sushi rice seasoning in all places the rice.
3. Get started turning the rice over continuously with a picket spoon or rice paddle being cautious to not mash the grains of rice. On the similar time fan the rice or have the electrical fan blowing over the rice if you are blending it.
4. Stay blending the rice till all the liquid is completely absorbed and the rice has a pleasant sheen to it. If doubtful, stay cooling and combining the rice till you might be certain.
When all the liquid is absorbed, your sushi rice shall be able to make use of in any sushi recipe you want.
by means of David Guthrie